The Virginia/DC District Export Council (DEC) is an organization of regional business leaders appointed by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce, whose knowledge of, and expertise in, international business provides a source of professional advice for local firms. Closely affiliated with the U.S. Commerce Department’s Export Assistance Centers and the U.S. and Foreign Commercial Service, the Virginia/DC DEC supports the U.S. Government’s export promotion efforts.
DEC Members sponsor and participate in numerous trade promotion activities, as well as advocate for effective trade policy positions. DEC members also serve as a communications link between the business community and the U.S. & Foreign Commercial Service, and support the export expansion activities of the U.S. Commerce Department in a variety of ways.
The Virginia/DC District Export Council encourages and supports exports of goods and services that strengthen individual companies, stimulate U.S. economic growth and create jobs. Export expansion activities are accomplished by working with the U.S. Export Assistance Centers to provide opportunities to promote greater export activity at the local level while developing a trade assistance network.
Our mission is supported through activities such as:
- Counseling and mentoring of local businesses in exporting;
- Identifying export financing sources for businesses;
- Creating greater export awareness in the business community locally;
- Identifying issues affecting export trade and implementation of suggestions for improvement;
- Advocating trade policy and legislation supporting exporters and the U.S. export sector;
- Supporting programs and services of the U.S. Export Assistance Centers;
- Building local export assistance partnerships with other trade-related organizations;
- Providing export training and education through Export University® programs